Outside home Spring Cleaning Tips
Maintaining the outside of your home can maintain the value and the beauty of your home. Some measures you take on the outside of your home will protect the inside of your home.
Roof - Use a leaf blower and broom to remove leaves and other debris from valleys and behind chimneys. Start at the top and blow and sweep downward. Be sure to wear rubber soled shoes and stay off steep roofs.
Gutter and Downspout Repair -Clean and repair any leaks in gutters and downspouts. make sure gutters are securely attached, and replace any loose spikes with gutter screws.
Craw space- Check for standing water if this is an issue installing a sump pump will help. Check vapor barrier for condensation and damage. Opening the craw space vents during warmer weather may help prevent moisture. Replace any old insulation.
We are here to help
In any water damage event, the goal is to dry out the wet materials as soon as possible in order to prevent them from having to be replaced. When water is left to sit for an extended period of time, it makes the floor and other affected materials unable to be dried completely. This can lead to floor covering, sub floor, cabinets, and other wet materials needing to be replaced. It is more expensive and more time consuming to replace these items than it is to restore them. In addition to that, mold begins to grow just 48 hours after wet materials are left to sit untreated. The effects from water damage happen quickly and need immediate action to avoid damage and costly repairs. SERVPRO of Wilson/Nashville arrives at your home quickly and ready to return your home back to preloss condition.
Learn more about our residential and commercial services :
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Storm Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Cleaning Services
- Building Services
- Commercial Water Damage Restoration
- Commercial Fire Damage Restoration
- Commercial Storm and Major Events
- Commercial Cleaning Services
- Commercial Mold Remediation
Have Questions? Call– 252-291-4492
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any-Sized Disaster
- Highly Trained Restoration Technicians
- A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Wilson/Nashville
SERVPRO of Wilson/Nashville specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certifications, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Prepare for the storm
When weather is concerned expect the unexpected. Tornadoes for example, can be one of the most unexpected events during strong thunder storm. For this very reason tornado warnings are posted for certain time intervals to keep you informed.
Preparing for the storm
Being prepared is one of the best things you can do for your family.
- Determine your risk- Get familiar with your area by determining the risk or treat from a hurricane. Winds, storm surges, and tornadoes.
- Develop an evacuation plan-Get familiar with your evacuation zones and alternate routes in case flooded areas and falling trees obstruct the road.
- Make an emergency disaster kit-Be prepared with a kit that has flashlight and batteries, radio, and enough non-perishable food and water to last a couple of days for each person.
- Strengthen your home- Cover windows, trim trees, secure loose outdoor items, secure all doors, and move your car to a safe location
- Check on neighbor-Offering a helping hand with one or more of the above and also checking on them after the storm.
During a storm even now where to go in the structure you are in for safety. Wither it a school, manufactured home, commercial building or vehicle. After the storm, be careful when you are checking for damage, sharp objects and debris. If you are unsure of your safety in a structure because of the damage, seek a safe shelter.
What can U do to prevent water damage?
- Replacing shingles, repairing roof and siding
- Repair leaks when located.
- Make sure all openings in your roof or home are sealed properly.
- Make sure your gutters and downspouts are clean and clear for proper drainage.
- Ensure the crawl space vents are free of obstruction, to allow proper ventilation under your home.
Signs that you have water damage.
- Visible paint discoloration or peeling.
- Soft or sagging walls or ceiling and flooring
- Water stains around bathroom vents
- Water stains around oven hood/vents
Homeowners that have done all that they could do but, still experience water damage can call SERVPRO of Wilson/ Nashville. SERVPRO of Wilson/ Nashville is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
Fire tips for kitchen fire.
Tips for cooking:
- Test smoke detectors to make sure they are working and replace batteries if needed.
- Keep a fire extinguisher and lids nearby. If you are frying food in grease use a lid to smother the flame, do not use water on a grease fire-it will make it worse.
- Do not leave any cooking unattended. Set timers if you need to check on food.
In case of a Kitchen fire what to do before professionals arrive:
- Limit movement to prevent further damage.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs and high traffic areas and upholstery.
- Coat chrome faucets, trim and appliances with petroleum jelly or oil.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Each fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire damage.
Craw space helpful tips
Water in crawl space can lead to warped sub floors.
Standing water in crawlspace could mean you have a leak in a pipe or a drain. It may lead to structure damage or mold.
What to check in crawlspace
- Crawlspace door- Loose-fitting or opened
- Vapor barrier- repair or replace if needed.
- Properly installed insulation.
- Moisture- Condensation on vapor barrier and HVAC equipment.
- Mold- Extreme moisture can also lead to mold.
- Musty odor
- Standing water- To help this issue, install sump pump.
- Standing sewage
- Warped floors
- Uninvited pest (mice, insects, and termites)
Our skilled technicians are experienced in navigating through crawlspaces to perform a variety of different services. Water and fire mitigation/repairs, mold remediation, sewage back-up, and biohazard clean-ups are the most common services. Call SERVPRO of Wilson/Nashville water damage restoration. (252)291-4492
Nothing better than hot dogs and hamburgers cooked on the grill. This summer stay safe when celebrating or getting together with family or friends. Always, keep yourself and your home safe this year by keeping these tips in mind when cooking on the grill:
- Never allow young children and pets to close to the grill.
- When setting up a grill make sure you have a surface that is level.
- While cooking on the grill keep a safe distance from, houses, trees, and flammable materials.
- When handling food on the grill use cooking utensils with long handles.
- Keep control of the fire while cooking on the grill.
- Never use a grill indoors.
- Properly dispose of coals- Allow coals to cool completely or then dispose in metal container away from the house.
We are hiring
Do you love helping people through difficult situations?
Our Franchise is seeking someone who is comfortable working hard in challenging situations. We work with an array of emergency situations, therefore you must have or be willing to develop new skill sets. Our idea of the ultimate candidate is one who has excellent problem solving skills, communicates efficiently, and is a person who multitasks. Don’t miss your chance to join SERVPRO of Wilson/Nashville as a new Carpenter Technician and Cleaning Technician .
- Professional appearance.
- Valid driver license with a reasonable driving record.
- Ability to successfully complete a back ground check subject to applicable
- Effective written and oral communication
- Basic Math Skills
- Experience in restoration and or construction preferred
- Knowledge and skills to perform constructions services as needed.
- Effective written and oral communication
- Basic Math Skills
- Experience in cleaning/restoration preferred
This is a full-time position, working 8:00 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday -Friday, 40 hours per week. This position occasionally requires long hours (beyond 8 hours a day), working on-call, and weekend work in support of emergency services.
Levels of Fire Damage
Fire damage is a multi-step process that minimizes the extent of a fire loss and ultimately saves the Homeowner money through restoration vs. replacement.
Three Levels of Damage:
- Minor - Smoke residues affect only certain rooms or areas. The amount of smoke residues is light to moderate. Restoration may involve dry cleaning and/or wet cleaning of ceilings, walls, floors and contents. Few areas need to be repainted and only minor items require replacement.
- Medium - Smoke residue is moderate, and more materials require wet cleaning to remove residues. The number of areas requiring repainting and items requiring replacement increase. Floors may need to be refinished. Heat damage to drywall, cabinets, and contents requires more materials to be replaced. Contents might be cleaned at the jobsite. Smoke odors are noticeable, possibly requiring additional deodorization procedures after cleaning.
- Major - Structural framing and finishes may be charred, requiring structural repairs. Smoke residues are distributed through a large portion of the building, and strong smoke odors. Emergency services are needed, such as Board-up, establishing a source of electricity, winterizing the building in cold weather and removing smoke-filled and charred debris. Restoration will involve extensive cleaning of the structure and probably require restorers to pack and move out all salvageable contents for off-site cleaning. Multiple methods of deodorization are needed to remove smoke odors.