Recent Community Posts

'Tis the Season!

10/4/2016 (Permalink)

SERVPRO of Wilson/Nashville would like to give you a friendly reminder that it is Fire Prevention & Preparedness Awareness!  The next few months we are all going to be busy preparing and celebrating the Holidays with friends or family. Whether you plan on staying home or traveling, you cannot be too careful when it comes to preventing a Fire Disaster.  In conjunction with the National Fire Protection Association, the next few months we will be posting helpful tips to help make the Holiday season safe and smooth for you and your family.

For starters, it's October and we all know Halloween is around the corner.  While you are out picking up costumes for your family or supplies for the trick-or-treating children, here are a few extra things to consider outfitting your home with this month.

If you are the kind of person who loves to decorate the house:

  1. Replace or repair damaged or loose electrical cords.
  2. Avoid running extension cords across doorways or under carpets. (Consider having additional circuits or outlets added by a qualified electrician so you do not have to use extension cords.)
  3. In homes with small children, make sure your home has tamper-resistant (TR) receptacles.
  4. Have flashlights andbattery-powered lighting ready to use during a power 

Most importantly, keep in mind decorations are the item first ignited in an estimated average of 900 reported home structure fires per year.  41% of these incidents were started by candles; one-fifth began in the living room, family room, or den.  Nearly half of decoration fires in homes occurred because the decorations were too close to a heat source.

If you do burn candles, make sure that you... 

  • Use candle holders that are sturdy, and won’t tip over easily.
  • Blow out candles when you leave the room or go to sleep. If a candle must burn continuously, be sure it is enclosed in a glass container and placed in a sink, on a metal tray, or in a deep basin filled with water.
  • Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn.
  • Think about using flameless candles in your home. They look and smell like real candles!
  • Change batteries in your smoke detectors & TEST

From all of us here at SERVPRO of Wilson/Nashville, Have a Happy Halloween!